Abravanel Hall at a Glance
Abravanel Hall first opened in September 1979, and was originally known as Symphony Hall, but was renamed in May 1993 for Maurice Abravanel, conductor of the Utah Symphony. The building was designed by FFKR Architects and acoustical design services were provided by Dr. Cyril M. Harris with the outcome of creating an environment of acoustic excellence.
The hall is rectangular in shape, similar to some of the world’s finest symphony halls. Suspended from the ceiling are six brass chandeliers with 18,000 hand-cut beads and prisms of Bohemian crystals imported from Austria and Czechoslovakia.
The lobby is four stories high with a white oak and brass ceiling and a glass wall covering the East face of the lobby. The lobby itself is an architectural marvel due to its many tiers, the staircase that goes upwards with gold leafing that covers all visible sides of the stairs and balconies, and the 30-foot-high Olympic Tower red blown-glass sculpture by renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly.
The ARTTIX ticket office is located the lower lobby and is open one hour prior to performances for event ticket purchases and will call in addition to standard business hours.
The hall is a concrete building within a brick building with a stage designed primarily for use as a concert hall, and has no proscenium. To enter the hall, patrons pass through sound lock corridors designed to isolate the concert hall from the noise and confusion of the lobby. Inside the hall, there are convex curved surfaces on the walls and ceilings.
One star and five warm-up private dressing rooms, private artist lounge with chorus room.
The Utah Symphony
No onsite caterer
For rental inquiries please contact Liz at 385-468*1030 or firstname.lastname@example.org.